The advantages of the Patent Box
Measures in favor of intangible assets
The Patent Box, introduced by the art. 1 of the 2015 Stability Law provides for an optional taxation regime for income deriving from the use, directly or indirectly of:
- software protected by copyright;
- industrial patents;
- designs and models, legally enforceable;
- processes, formulas and information relating to legally protectable industrial, commercial or scientific experience;
- joint use of two or more of the aforesaid intangible assets, linked together by a constraint of complementarity for the purposes of producing a product or a family of products or a process or group of processes.
This tax regime facilitates those who undertake long-term domestic and foreign investments, because:
- it encourages the placement in Italy of intangible assets currently held abroad by Italian or foreign companies;
- it encourages the maintenance of intangible assets in Italy;
- it favors investment in research and development activities.
The facilitation consists in the tax reduction of these incomes, which are calculated in the formation of the total income for 50% of the relative amount.
The option for facilitated taxation has a duration equal to five tax periods, is irrevocable and is renewable. The exercise of the option is relevant not only for the determination of total income for IRES and IRPEF purposes, also for the purpose of determining the value of IRAP production.
If you are interested in learning more about the advantages of the Patent Box or looking for advice, contact our office by calling us at +39 0444288411 or by writing to our e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org.